Claiming FAQ

Travelling and assistance:

Which insurance information do I need to bring on my trip?

It is important to carry your insurance documents with you at all times with you when you are travelling outside your province or territory of residence. These documents contain key information you may need, such as the phone number to reach the Claims and Assistance team at Global Excel, your policy or certificate number and other important details about your coverage.

What should I do if I have a medical emergency when I am travelling?

Please call us as soon as it is medically possible, preferably before seeking treatment. Our team is here to guide you through the process and provide you with referrals to hospitals, clinics, or doctors in your area who will bill us directly. Some treatments require pre-approval and our team can walk you through what this means for you.

What if I can’t call you right away?

We understand that in some medical situations, it may not be possible for you to contact us before receiving medical care. If this happens to you, ask a friend, relative, or even the hospital or doctor’s office to call us on your behalf.

Can you refer me to a doctor or clinic?

Yes. If you have medical insurance with us, we will be ready to help you find a doctor or clinic in your area. You can either use the ‘Contact Us’ section of our website or call us using the emergency assistance phone number found on your insurance documentation.


What should I do if I receive a bill?

If you receive a bill directly, please do not pay it unless we instruct you otherwise. Send it to us so we can add it to your claim.

What should I do if I have out of pocket expenses?

If you have out of pocket expenses relating to your claim, you can submit them for review online or mail them to Global Excel with a claim form.

Do I need to send you the original documents or do you accept copies?

It depends on the type of claim. For medical claims, we need the original documents since these are required by your Government Health Insurance Plan and we submit these to them on your behalf. If you send us the originals, please make copies for your own records.

For Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption/Delay and Baggage claims, we can accept copies. Please keep the originals for your own records, since we may request them in some circumstances.

Which currency will I be reimbursed in?

We will reimburse you in Canadian dollars. If you made any payments in other currencies, we will use the exchange rate in effect on the day of your payment to determine the Canadian amount owed to you.

What is your mailing address?

Our mailing addresses are available in the Contact Us Section

How do I submit a claim?

The Notify Us of a Claim section will guide you through a few simple steps.

Do I need a claim form? What else will I need to send you?

The form(s) you will need to submit with your claim will depend on the type of claim you are making. The Notify Us of a Claim section will guide you through a few simple steps to submit your claim and will outline the documents you will need to include.

How will I know when my claim is settled?

You can follow the status of the claim you opened using the Claim Status section of this site.

How do I reach you if I have questions?

All the details you need to reach us are found in the Contact Us section of our site.

Policyholders and Claimants
Other members of the Global Excel family